Congratulations Avery you have been hired by the Karatsu City Board of Education!
I was so surprised to receive my placement for the JET Program mid-May. I thought I had to wait until June, but it turns out I was one of the lucky ones (some participants still don’t know where they are assigned). After my ecstatic rolling about the futon couch in a Brooklyn apartment my next thought was – Where the hell is Karatsu City?
In honor of this question and 5 days from leaving for said city I have put together 5 fun facts about my new home.
- Turns out its on the island of Kyushu in Saga Prefecture and sits along the western coastline of the Genkai Sea.
- Karatsu ware is one of three famous types of pottery in Japan!
- In early November Karatsu celebrates its Kunchi Festival where the local deity shrine parades around the city accompanied by 14 giant floats.
- Weather is hot and humid summer with a rainy season in June and mild winters (30 °F)
- Home to an ancient castle and the Nijinomatsubara – A 360 year old pine forest planted along the coast.
I can’t believe I only have 5 days left – and I still to pack!
Stay tuned for my next post tomorrow – Packing Up Life